When it comes to working remotely, many employees who are checking in from the home-side see its advantages, including skipping the weekday commute which can add hours to a working day.
Although it does present challenges, the home-based office equipped with home office furniture is likely here to stay, a fixture cemented in place by COVID-19 lockdowns that compelled employers to revise the way business gets done. And, not only has the pandemic changed the way we work, for many, it has also changed our addresses, contributing to the housing market boom.
According to RE/MAX’s 2021 Canadian Housing Market Outlook, Canadians are on the move. It’s not an exodus, but it is a relocation driven by a number of factors such as:
- Employees working remotely and stuck inside due to COVID-19 restrictions are looking for additional living space. They are selling their GTA homes and buying larger residences for less in cities like Barrie, Hamilton, and Ottawa.
- Record low interest rates continue to drive sales, making carrying costs affordable.
- It’s also expected that housing prices will continue to grow through 2021, driven in part by move-up and move-over buyers.
Home Office Furniture Must-Haves
As people move into bigger spaces, they can plan for a dedicated office space equipped with ergonomic home office furniture.
Here are some of our recommendations:
Quality ergonomic chairs should not only be functional, but they should also contribute to employee wellbeing by working with the body’s contours.
- Leap V2: One of Steelcase’s best-selling, ergonomic office chair. It’s LiveBack® feature changes shape to mimic the movement of your spine and supports your body as you move.
- Gesture: The first chair designed to support our interactions with today’s technologies. The seat has comfort all the way to the edge with a flexible perimeter to allow users to sit in a range of positions.
- Series 2: This is an attainable high-performing task chair. It has a weight-activated back tension mechanism which responds automatically as you sit to create appropriate ergonomic support. It also features an innovative geometric design.
As with chairs, desks for the home office should be fit for purpose, including employee wellbeing.
- Migration SE Height Adjustable Desk: This desk allows you to easily switch from seated to standing height postures throughout the day.
- Active Lift Riser: If you already have an office desk, this solution can be placed on top of the desk to help you transition between sitting and standing. It features 2 platforms, a top platform and a keyboard platform.
- Monitor Arm Single: A monitor arm that allows your monitor to rotate from landscape to portrait orientation. It accommodates a weight range of 9-25 lbs and the maximum monitor size is 27”.
- CFTR Adjustable Footrest: This footrest has a curved surface that enhances comfort while working. It can be adjusted to 4 different height positions from 2” to 6” from the floor.
- Surgically Clean Air – Jade: The Jade unit captures particulates, absorbs gasses and VOCs, and destroys virus and bacteria, thereby re-energizing your workplace air with touchless technology and its low noise level. Jade eradicates 99.99% of all airborne particles 0.1 microns and larger. (Studies have shown the size of the COVID-19 virus is greater than 0.125 microns.)