Is Design in Your DNA?Do you love to furniture plan, work with others, and see your creative vision applied to customer solutions? If that describes your approach and reflects your personality, then our new Project Designer role may be just the fit for you.
As part of our One Team, you will be responsible for all phases of the furniture solution from inception to post installation including the five general areas of project work: Client Programming, Furniture Space Planning, Furniture Solution Development, Specification Development, and Installation Documentation/Project Administration.
More about the role
You should have the skills to act as project lead when required as well as provide support to other team members. The ideal candidate will be comfortable working as part of a team or independently, creative, and passionate about workplace design. You make confident, decisive decisions to remain efficient, and you take initiative to remain effective.
- Uphold the Vision and Mission of POI and enhance the customer journey by raising the bar relative to solutions and service to clients, both internal and external
- Utilize a consultative and innovative approach to all application design solutions
- Participate and lead in co-collaboration experiences with clients and coworkers, including live design sessions
- Exhibit imaginative thinking to situations and open to exploring new concepts or processes when problem solving
- Accommodating of changing priorities and deadlines and is steady under time pressures
- Develop creative customer presentations to communicate design solutions visually
- Maintain clear communication with internal and external clients and all integrated services /departments within POI
- Generate accurate drawings and documents (space plans, specifications, and installation drawings) using the appropriate software – CET, Smart Tools, AutoCAD 2013, Hedberg
- Maintain timely and accurate timesheets, schedules and adhere to all departmental processes.
- Ensure efficiency and organization of all furniture design projects, adhering to the proposed scope of work and established hours
- Meet with internal and external clients to review project requirements and furniture design criteria
- Conduct on-site measures and/or verification of plans as required.
- Prepare plans, renderings, and specifications for proposed furniture solutions
- Conduct self-audits of all specifications, seek out peer audits as required to ensure accuracy of all drawings and specifications prior to final audit
- Prepare installation plans and participate in pre-install meetings with other POI departmental team members
- Ensure product knowledge is current by attending product training seminars, showroom visits and courses.
- Participate in mentoring and training of interns and junior staff
- Participate in strategic and/or short-term improvement initiatives, as well as team building activities within Studio and other POI functional departments
You’ve got the credentials to make it happen
- A minimum 5 years’ experience with planning and specifying systems furniture, experience in corporate planning and design is preferred (Knowledge of Steelcase and Global expertise is an asset)
- Degree or Diploma in Interior Design is an asset
- Knowledge of the Ontario Building Code
- Proficient with AutoCAD 2013 or current release
- Experience with Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint etc.)
- Detail oriented with a focus on accuracy and strong organizational skills
- Demonstrate creative ability and excellent problem-solving skills
- Work both independently and as a team player
- Good communication and presentation skills
- Support all initiatives with respect to Health and Safety in the workplace, which includes reviewing our Health and Safety policy on a quarterly basis
- Demonstrate role model qualities – i.e., good attendance, punctuality, neat appearance, positive attitude along with POI’s core value and beliefs
At POI, we create environments and experiences that inspire. This holds true for both customers and staff. We offer a hybrid work environment (work/home) including newly designed offices that offer unique workspaces that strengthen connections and inspire innovative ways of working. With flexible spaces along with flexible hours, health and dental benefits, and competitive salaries, we not only advocate a work-life balance, but we live it!
Start Your Application
We’d like to find out a little more about what makes you tick, so we’ve put together a fun and short survey called the Culture Index. There are no wrong or right answers. This process, in addition to your resume, enables us to determine the fit for the role before you commit valuable time to the interview process. To complete the survey, click on this link and select the position you are applying for. Please follow the instructions and upload your resume.